Sunday 22 May 2016



xxx


My not-so-little-anymore sister is having her prom coming up very shortly. Seeing her getting prepared for it takes me back to when I had mine. It’s a very stressful and exciting  time for a 16-year old; The stress of finding the right dress, what make-up to wear, your prom date?The list sure does go on. Luckily for my sister, as having someone who experienced prom, she has me to guide her the right way and avoid these if she will let me! Haha. For me, I  had never been to something where I could dress up like I could for this, and I was itching to go all out. However it is very safe to say that my prom experience was very far from perfect and there’s a couple of things which I wish knew beforehand.

Prom is not a big deal.
I know for my prom, I was extremely excited. Sure, I had doubts in my head and was wondering if it was going to be as good as it looked in the all films. But it actually ended up in being a humongous anti-climax. That’s not to say don’t get excited. Please do! But just realise that it’s probably not going to be as amazing as it traditionally is in films. It’s literally going to be a few hours of your life where you’re going to be doing the same things you do at school (minus the dancing) with the same people. What I am saying is try not to stress, prom isn’t as a massive big deal as you think it will, so try not put so much pressure on your for it be so perfect.


Plan your Make-up.
I did my make-up myself for prom and I really really hated it. I know this has contradicted what  I have just said about not being perfect, but I really did despise my entire face.  I did my make-up myself and back then I really had no skill in that department. I knew basic stuff like how to do ok eye shadow, but nothing really prom-worthy. With no idea what I wanted my make-up to look like I was sat down at half 3 in the afternoon staring into the mirror struggling on where to start. I ended up just piling on the eyeshadow and foundation because back then the rule more is less didn’t see fit to me. I also having never experiencing false eyelashes decided to go for the biggest most extravagant lashes I could find. Silly me. In the end I really hated it. I should have 100% , done a run through, done some research or had it done professionally. I mean it wasn’t a complete disaster, I just didn’t feel comfortable with what my face looked like. If you are having your make-up done by professionally do a run through with them. I have heard of way too many people who have had it done professionally and didn’t like the outcome.
Why does nothing match?! haha!


The Prom Dress.
I think finding the prom dress may be the most exciting bit. It can also be a bit depressing when nothing fits or doesn’t live up to your standards. You’re going to find some you hate yourself and some that you love yourself in. It’s a slight rollercoaster. It’d probably best to start searching for your dress early, that way you can make the most of your time and figure what kind of shape dress you would like and colour etc. Looking back my dress wasn’t fantastic and I wish I had gone for something a little longer, but I did end up wearing mine for two weddings that same year so I suppose that made it more versatile in a way. In my school everyone seem to find it a massive scandal if you had the same dress as someone else. There was even facebook page where you were supposed to post your dress to make sure no one got the same one! Which seems so ridiculous now! One of my friends and me pretty much wore the same dress and neither one of us cared. Also for some reason I made non of my shoes and bag match the dress. What a complete fashion disaster! Okay, so it wasn't the end of the world but it's just another thing to add to the list!

So that’s mostly all the things I wish I had thought out thoroughly about my prom. I know prom’s just  a little bit of fun, but in some ways it got made in to such a big deal by others and in my own head. I know exactly what I do differently if I was going to do it again.
Have you had your prom yet? What would you do differently about yours? If not what are you most looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment